Fight the Flu Naturally and Quicker
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I may earn a small commission from some of the links provided in this post.
Unfortunately, I have been hearing that the flu has been hitting Charlotte pretty hard. Just this past month, several schools had some classes where more than half of their students were out because of the flu. Typically it seems that when you hear that word, people start to panic. That is exactly how I was when I became a mom in 2010 (technically 2009).
Now, being a mom of four and having dealt with the flu in our family last year and about 2 years ago, I have found some natural remedies that have worked for us. This past year, my husband got hit with the flu and was down for about 2 and a half days, and recovered quicker than I had seen or even experienced myself from the flu. Below I will share the regime that I used for him and the preventative measures that I took to ensure the rest of us stayed well.
[Note: I am not a medical professional, so check with your doctor if a medical need arises. I am sharing tips on what has worked for my family and I.]
For three days Marcus had a fever, was very tired, and did not want to eat much at all. Here’s what I did:
- Ensured he was hydrated by trying to give him at least a cup of water every hour and orange slices. Because of his fever, I wanted to make sure he did not get dehydrated. The orange slices aid in hydration and Vitamin C.
- Gave him the recommended dosage of the following Vitamins and supplements:
It was a personal preference to break up how I gave him the supplements.
- I cut out ALL processed foods, and only made meals that consisted of fruits, vegetables, broth, and meats. Since he did not have much of an appetite, breakfasts was sometimes just an orange and water. Dinners were mainly broth or soup I made from broth: garlic, onions, turmeric, ginger, carrots, potatoes and other herbs. Most of these food items aid in building the immune system and fighting off infections.
- Though he had a fever, he said he felt cold a lot; therefore, I would make him tea and once it was hot enough to sip, I sweetened with raw local honey. Because he had chest congestion and I wanted to make sure we prevented a serious infection (like pneumonia), I bought Traditional Medicinals Organic Licorice Tea. I also bought Traditional Medicinals Organic Echinacea & Elderberry Tea. I chose this brand of tea after researching the best organic teas on the market. Foodbabe is one source that I used to find organic teas since her research is so thorough.
- One more thing I actually never thought I would do because the mere thought of it made me want to hold my nose. I sliced up an organic onion, put it on the bottom of his feet and put on socks overnight. Onions support the immune system, read more here.
By day 4 Marcus had gotten some strength back, the fever was gone, and his appetite was slowly coming back. He still had a productive cough, so I continued to make sure he had the teas one in the morning, one at night, and he continued taking the supplements too. From what I can remember, the kids stayed well the entire time, it was actually the baby that got dad sick so… lol
I did begin to feel symptoms one day, probably because of taking care of Marcus and handling ALL house duties by myself since he was down. What helped me knock it out was, I drank about 1/3 cup of Master Tonic and took the other supplements as well. I knew I had to kick it as soon as I felt it, and I was back to normal the next day. I am very thankful to have been prepared.
I hope that you and your family will be able to use some if not all of the things that worked for us to help prevent or fight against the flu.